Originate Actor Training
Free Actor Training with leading drama schools RADA, Guildhall School, industry professionals and Theatre Peckham.
Home to BAFTA Rising Star Award winner 2021 Bukky Bakray
Applications are open NOW to join Originate 2023/24!
Offered in collaboration with Theatre Peckham, Guildhall School and RADA, Originate prepares young actors for Drama School and the industry via a free intensive nine-month programme. The course is based at Theatre Peckham with sessions also held at RADA and Guildhall School on Thursdays between 6.30-9.30pm. The sessions train participants to perform for the stage and screen, and the project culminates in an industry showcase.
Due to competition for places, funding restrictions and reporting requirements, we ask that applicants:
- Are aged 17-23 at the start of the course on 12 October 2023. Any participant who is 17 and currently in education must be in year 13/second year of college
- Live in a London borough
- Have attended a state school or college for the entirety of your education
- Have no previous experience of Higher Education
- Have a combined household income under £45,000
- Must be applying to drama school for entry in September 2024
Applicants should also meet at least one of the following:
- Be in receipt of Free School Meals, in receipt of a 16-19 Bursary or living in a household which receives means tested benefits
- Have a home postcode which in Quintile 1 or 2 on the POLAR4 dataset or Deciles 1-4 on the IMD dataset (check POLAR4 postcode here, check IMD postcode here)
- Identify as Global Majority
- Have recent experience of the UK Care System, be a Care Leaver or be estranged from their parents
- Be a young carer or have significant caring responsibilities
- Have a declared disability
Participants take part in a series of masterclasses led by Suzann McLean Founder of Young & Talented and Artistic Director of Theatre Peckham well as guest tutors from RADA and Guildhall, and other theatre professionals from across the industry. Participants train in acting, voice, text, movement and audition technique, the course includes theatre visits, take part in Q&As with actors, directors and practitioners, and gain access to practical resources such as headshots.
The course culminates with a showcase at RADA performed by participants for an audience of professional directors and agents, as well as friends and family.
The Originate partnership enables RADA to open up access to the Academy, giving young performers the chance to develop their techniques and learn more about the experience and possibilities of full-time drama training.
Participants from past cohorts reflected on their experience, saying:
“It was refreshing to be in an environment where the people represent such a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds. The best”. Adrian
“Drama school no longer feels like an intangible, intimidating thing but something that, with hard work, drive and talent, could be very achievable”. Yasmin
Originate allows young actors to build on their acting technique and confidence as a performer, create industry connections, establish a network of collaborators and it introduces them to the rigour and joy of actor training.
85% of Originate Actors 2022/23 were approached by agents and casting directors after the RADA showcase. 100% said that Originate Met or Exceeded their expectations.
The film When It’s Just Us… created by Originate Actors 20/21 won Best Cinematography and was shortlisted for London Shorts Best Short Film.
Previous Originate Actors said:
It was refreshing to be in an environment where the people represent such a diverse range of cultures and backgrounds. The best.
The industry no longer feels like an intangible, intimidating thing but something that, with hard work, drive and talent, could be very achievable.